Use and Care Tips
To ensure that modern appliances reach their intended lifespan, it is necessary to use and maintain them properly. Following the below tips will increase the life expectancy of your appliances, reduce the need for professional repairs, and help to prevent potential damage to your home.
Use & Care Tips for Dryers
- To ensure efficient drying, make sure the dryer hose has no kinks and is as short as it can be.
- Remove and clean the lint filter for each load to increase energy efficiency and to prevent lint from accumulating within the chassis of the dryer, which can be a fire hazard.
- Don’t overload your dryer — this will prevent hot air from circulating within the dryer and will cause clothes to take longer to dry.
- Avoid vinyl vent hoses — these are unsafe to use with most modern dryers. If your dryer uses a vinyl vent hose, replace it immediately with an aluminum hose.
- Occasionally inspect the dryer vent hose to ensure that it is clean with no obstructions. A clogged dryer vent hose will increase dry time.
- Every few years, the dryer chassis should be disassembled to clean lint buildup from the interior — especially if the dryer lint filter has not been cleaned frequently. While the lint filter prevents the majority of lint from accumulating inside the chassis, some lint may still persist, and this can become a fire hazard.
Use & Care Tips for Washing Machines
- Run a cold water cycle to wash darker and vibrantly colored clothing to decrease color fading.
- Note the recommended washing instructions on the labels of each piece of clothing.
- Remove loose change and other items from the pockets of clothes prior to placing them in the washing machine — this will prevent damage to your clothing and the washer.
- Ensure that the door of your front-loading washing machine is left oepn when the washing machine is not in operation. This will prevent the accumulation of mold and associated odors. For washing machines with existing mold / odor problems, we recommend Affresh Washer Cleaner.
- Swap out washing machine hoses every six years. Washing machine hoses with extensive use are more likely to spring a leak, which can cause water damage if not resolved immediately.
- Make sure that your washing machine is properly balanced. Running a washer on a non-level surface can cause damage to the appliance over time.
Use & Care Tips for Refrigerators
- Make sure to leave a few inches of space on each side of the exterior of the refrigerator to allow for heat to dissipate properly.
- Set your temperature settings. For the freezer compartment, we recommend 0-4F depending on your preference. For the fridge side, we recommend 36-40F. Running the refrigerator with reasonable temperature settings will decrease strain on the compressor and other fundamental parts of the refrigerator, increasing overall lifespan.
- The water filter should be replaced at least once per year. This will keep water clean and prevent leaks from occurring.
- Use a non-abrasive material like a paint brush to clean condenser coils. This will increase the overall efficiency of the refrigerator and decrease strain on internal components.
- Refrigerators on a non-level surface are more likely to have door seal issues. Ensure that they are replaced on level surfaces.
- Keeping your freezer relatively full. Having a well-stocked freezer will allow it to retain its coolness.
- Remove all ice cubes from icemaker every few months — ice cubes can retain odor.
Use & Care Tips for Dishwashers
- Remove debris from dishes before putting them in the dishwasher. This will prevent damage to the drain pump.
- Check the labels of your dishes. Some dishes are not dishwasher safe and must be hand washed.
- Ensure there is no obstruction to the spray arms prior to turning on the dishwasher.
- If the water supply is hard water, we recommend using a water softener. Using dishwashers with hard water will cause mineral deposits to appear on the dishes which look like a white film. To resolve mineral deposits, we recommend using LemiShine®.
- Some dishwasher detergents contain built-in rinse aids. Avoid using standalone rinse aids with these detergents.
- Operating a dishwasher on a non-level surface can result in leaks, so ensure that the dishwasher is level.
- Avoid buying powder dishwasher detergent in bulk. Powder detergent has a limited shelf life and decreases in effectiveness over time.
Dishwasher Use & Care Tips
- Appliances use common 40W bulbs which are widely available. These bulbs can be easily replaced.
- Cast iron and stone cookware may cause damage to glass top stoves.
- Do not store excessively heavy items above glass top stoves. These glass tops are expensive to replace if damaged.
- Avoid the use of abrasive cleaners on glass stove tops. These can cause scratches.
Have any questions about our use & care tips? We’re here to help. Call (650) 238-9050 or e-mail us.